[nycbug-talk] VPS solutions?

User Pete pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Jul 27 08:22:40 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 01:02:10AM -0400, Miles Nordin wrote:

>     up> you need to run windows for live migration of vm's
>
> weak!
>
> I think it would be smart to make a live migration storage platform
> from DRBD, AVS/ii, or zfs send/recv rather than proper shared storage.
> This would require bringing the hypervisor and the storage under
> control of the same script, so involving windows is a fail.

yea - that's when the meeting with vmware came to a end.  it was kinda
akward to say the least :)  fwiw i don't think moving the bits from one
hypervisor to another is the hard bit (infact we were using netapps and
fcp or iscsi for our block devices so that bit just worked).  i think
they had some "magic" on the windows controller that syncronized the
hypervisors to do the live migration.

i dunno i kinda stopped listening to them when they told me i needed a
win2k server to make this all work.  it wouldn't have been such a huge
issue but i already had it working with rhel5, xen and lib-virt.

-p