[nycbug-talk] [OT] - Subversion Conflicts

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Sat Jun 27 13:00:05 EDT 2009

> Sorry to bother the list, but this is a problem I just encountered that is
> somewhat time sensitive, so I thought I would get some opinions from the
> group.
>
> I'm moving to a new temporary code deployment solution.  The prior setup
> didn't use SVN at all - people edited on the dev server, and then rsync's
> the code to the production server.
>
> The new setup (TEMPORARY for a few weeks until I can get real
> repositoriees going) is that I checked in the entire webroot into an SVN
> repository, and then I have the webs check that out.  That way, if someone
> edits something, they check it in, and then
>
> This is gigs of code and I didn't have much time to go through it, so I
> added everything to SVN, even log files.  What I'm having trouble with
> right now is this: on the initial checkout to the webservers, it works
> fine, but it creates these log files.  Of course, the log files aren't
> empty - they are in a state that they were in when I checked them into SVN
> originally.  Over time, those log files begin to get written to, to where
> if I do an svn stat in the webroot, it shows they've changed.
>
> No big deal, until I try to run an svn update again after a full check in
> from the dev server - the log files show conflicts, because they've
> changed on both servers.
>
> First, as a disclaimer, I know this is a HORRIBLE temporary solution, but

Yes, it is - and likely as permanent as all temporary solutions :)

> I promise it's temporary for those who want to yell :) Does anyone know a
> way to tell SVN "If the file has changed locally, don't check out the
> latest version remotely, and instead ignore it?".  I'd obviously like to
> do this with a flag.

How about just ignore them and/or the directory they're in completely?
Hopefully there's some sane structure, so your log files aren't directly in
the document root, and you'd just ignore the directory they're in.  But you
can also ignore individual files.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html

search around for svn:ignore

And there's tons of examples around, here's a quick one (even though he uses
Cold Fusion):

http://www.petefreitag.com/item/662.cfm

Or, perhaps just delete them from subversion since you already have them in
the original code base?

svn update
svn rm logs-wherever-they-are
svn commit -m 'temporary'