[nycbug-talk] Remote backup services

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Wed Mar 4 09:30:46 EST 2009

Steven Kreuzer wrote:
> On Mar 3, 2009, at 6:43 PM, Raj Goel wrote:
>
>> Guys,
>>
>>   Has anyone figured out how to implement Mozy or Carbonite like
>> backup services using FOSS tools?
>>
>>   How would you backup linux, bsd, mac clients?  Windows?
>>
>>   Like the idea of wan-based backups, dislike trusting vendors that
>> may cease to exist.
>
> Thats a pretty open ended question.
>
> How much infrastructure are you willing to put behind this?
> How reliable do you need it to be?
> How much money are you willing to spend?
> How many clients are you backing up?
> How much storage space do you need?

The question that comes to my mind is whose infrastructure?

Are you building this out yourself?

If so, I assume you have some decent colocation somewhere remote.  And
with decent hardware to back it up. . . RAID, etc.  And maybe multiple
locations.

If it's a clients infrastructure, are they willing to commit to the
necessary infrastructure?

George