[nycbug-talk] Switch to FreeBSD from RHEL

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Fri Mar 6 11:19:00 EST 2009

I'm currently in the middle of a data center migration project and we're
considering switching to my long time favorite OS, FreeBSD.  Luckily, the
higher ups are also FreeBSD fans, but its the higher ups of the higher ups
that need convincing.

While I personally feel that FreeBSD is superior in out of box security,
ease of configuration (rc.conf file, etc.), packages (ports system /
pkg_create vs. rpm), stability and performance, etc., my opinion is
probably very biased.  I just have a few things to ask everyone, and I'd
be hoping for some documentation to back it up if possible.

1) FreeBSD vs. Linux - I passed on the single document linked on
bsdjobs.net that outlines the differences between the two, but I was
hoping for something more recent and solid.  Any links?  Like I said, I'm
sold - it's convincing others.

2) Centralized management - the dream of starting from the ground up is
here for me.  I'd like to definitely use LDAP & SVN for centralized
authentication and centralized code versioning.  Also, internal DNS (not
split horizon).  In the possibilities but not yet finalized category
include CF Engine (we'll need a way to centrally manage server config
files and centrally updated servers - if you have alternatives to CF
Engine, perhaps something that works better for a smaller (50 server)
setup, let me know!).  I'd also like to know how everyone does centralized
authorization - still using LDAP, with groups, and sudo with roles, or
something else?

3) Security Auditing - here's a big one, too.  chkrootkit?  mtree?
Starting early on, I'd like to get a good security status impression of
these 50 servers from day 1.

4) LAMP stack support with FreeBSD:

A) Apache - performance comparisons?  In the past, I've seen a performance
gain overall switching web's to FreeBSD from Linux.  Does this still hold
true with apache_2.x?

B) MySQL - In the past, I saw a performance *drop* when switching from
Linux to FreeBSD.  pthread support enabled helped, but at the time it was
only available for 32-bit.  Some recent documentation shows that FreeBSD
7.x with MysQL 5.0.x works well, while potentially 5.1.x may not.  Does
anyone have any comments on this one? (this is probably our largest fear).
Of course, we'll do our own benchmarking before we move :) But this is
just pre-planning questions.

C) PHP - any performance differences?

D) Memcache - any performance differences?

I'd say those are most of my questions for now.  Thanks everyone!

-Matt