[nycbug-talk] version control for config files

Brian Gupta brian.gupta at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 00:36:29 EST 2009

I know you think it is overkill, but seriously take a look at puppet.
(I'm biased here). Basically it lets you put all your configs on a
central server and then use SVN/GIT/whatever to manage it.

I'd be willing to help you get started, and we have a puppet user
group in NYC. (Although we would be open to expanding it to include
cfengine, if there are enough cfengine folks around).

-Brian

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I think the subject pretty much sums it up - I'm sick of not tracking
> changes in /etc and /usr/local/etc.  I want something that deal with file
> permissions and is relatively transparent.
>
> I've been googling around, but finding not much other than weird
> contortions based on CVS that make such huge disclaimers as "this of
> course does not work with symlinks" or "this of course does not maintain
> file ownership/permissions".
>
> cfengine and the like do more than I want...
>
> Any interesting ideas out there?
>
> The most I have to work with is perhaps a dozen servers, maybe almost that
> many jails.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charles
>
> ___