[nycbug-talk] Remote backup services

Tim A. techneck at goldenpath.org
Tue Mar 10 18:56:31 EDT 2009

Raj Goel wrote:
> Guys,
>
>    Has anyone figured out how to implement Mozy or Carbonite like backup services using FOSS tools?
>
>    How would you backup linux, bsd, mac clients?  Windows?
>
>    Like the idea of wan-based backups, dislike trusting vendors that may cease to exist.

Sort of glossy ain't they?
What's wrong with a good ol snapshot / rsync?
Fairly portable too. But the snapshot business is very FS / OS dependent.
Lots of FOSS rsync guis out there too. But none I've seen automagically
work out of snapshots. Have to do that manually.
Probably no one wants to tackle incorporating that into a general
purpose tool cause, like I said, too many FS / OS variables in the
multi-platform theater.

Another important thing to consider is the remote storage equation.
What level of service / reliability are you gunning for?

I always thought rsync.net was a good idea. Their Windows Backup Agent
even does the snapshot for ya.
Never could wrap my head around paying that much for remote storage
though. (even if your name is rsync.net)
Compare their redundant site storage vs rsyncing across 3 el cheapo
generic hosting accounts (with tons of cheap storage).
$2.10/month vs $0.09/month.
Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard, but I don't like throwing money away,
even if it is other peoples.