[nycbug-talk] Remote Tor Controller app, besides telnet?

Tim A. techneck at goldenpath.org
Tue Mar 10 19:22:06 EDT 2009

Playing around with Tor, ya know how circuit quality's like the luck of
the draw,
and if your using Vidalia you just click "New Identity" or whatever for
some "clean" / new circuits.

But, using a transparent proxy, you need to remotely send signals to the
controller port.
Vidalia is less than ideal for this, although it does have a config
field for controller address and port.
Its buggy, crapy and obviously assumes tor is running locally.
(Required field is path to tor binary).

k, so http://www.torproject.org/svn/trunk/doc/spec/control-spec.txt
And you can control tor using telnet and the control-spec.
Except, passing cookies or hashes via telnet is a pita, so ya gotta just
leave it no auth, 127 bound and tunnel to it.

I'm scratchin my head, like, dude where's the torctl utility, duh?