[nycbug-talk] Searching for suspect PHP files...

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Tue Mar 17 07:18:41 EDT 2009

Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:

> So FreeBSD's realpath() is slow, but it is "more correct" I suppose.

The never ending dilemma -- speed vs. stable & secure.  On the one
extreme we got Linux, and on the other OpenBSD.  Both positions are not
ideal IMHO.  But only a rational mean, a harmony between the speed and
security is the best approach.  To me, FreeBSD is striving for this
goal, but in this particular case the implementation was just too slow.
This approach was already known to the philosophy of Plato where he was
describing a mean between two extremes 'peras' and 'apeiron'.  The
nature only works like that, so we should try to imitate Her.

--Andy