[nycbug-talk] Sun News Roundup

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Sat Mar 21 12:38:04 EDT 2009

Miles Nordin <carton at ivy.net> wrote:

>     ms> Was not most of the orignal GNU products rebranded BSD, and
>     ms> BSD licenced, tools?
>
> Maybe, but I wasn't aware of it.  I thought their project started by
> working on some proprietary Unix platform, replacing the tools
> one-by-one.  Do you have some citation?  Not that I necessarily agree
> with you it's a problem or some kind of ``hypocricy'' if they did it,
> though.

The first freely-redistributable code from Berkeley was actually
Networking Release 1 from 1989, and GNU started a few years earlier, so
I think you don't know what you are talking about here, Marc.  Also gcc
started as a Pastel compiler and definetly was *not* based on pcc.

Speaking about pcc I hope we will see more of it in *BSD, as it is truly
historically BSD centered C compiler with tradition going back to Bell
Labs.

I don't really know what was the real intention of GNU and on what
source code they based their first work, but IMHO their utilities in
most part are inferior to BSD ones -- compare libc vs. glibc, BSD
toolset vs. coreutils, tcsh vs. bash etc.  Their bloat is enormous.

--Andy