[nycbug-talk] Mixed RHEL / FreeBSD environment

Siobhan Lynch trish at bsdunix.net
Mon Mar 23 21:18:18 EDT 2009

On 3/23/09 7:00 PM, Matt Juszczak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone ever tried a mixed RHEL and FreeBSD environment?  We're 100%
> RHEL right now, but migrating to a new data center.  Considering the
> options and the amount of BSD fans in the mix, we'd like to switch at
> least the lower trafficked boxes (utility boxes, jump boxes, etc.) to
> FreeBSD.  We are also debating making our webs FreeBSD, because of some
> research that shows Apache seems to run nicely on FreeBSD compared to RHEL
> (if not better in certain circumstances).

We've moved most of our utility boxes to FreeBSD - and I'm pretty happy.
We don;t use RHEL, we use Ubuntu, but the idea is the same.

Our scheme is:

1) FreeBSD 7.1 - utility boxes (DNS, Monitoring, minor web
hosts/documentation)
2) Java hosts - Ubuntu (yes, the irony of *me* using Java on Linux is
not lost on me, but essentially, its how it was, the idea is in the back
of my mind to change that)
3) DB hosts - all except for pgsql are on Solaris 10. pgsql is on a
linux box.

-Trish