[nycbug-talk] (no subject)

Aleksandar Kacanski kacanski_s at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 29 09:41:20 EDT 2009

Folks,
Is there any help on horizon regarding built in Marvell nic on FreeBSd. Device is going up/down
with variety configurations.

frodo# grep -iE "msk|phy" /var/run/dmesg.boot
mskc0: <Marvell Yukon 88E8056 Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xc800-0xc8ff mem 0xfe7fc000-0xfe7fffff irq 18 at device 0.0 on pci2
msk0: <Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Yukon EC Ultra Id 0xb4 Rev 0x03> on mskc0
msk0: Ethernet address: 00:23:54:82:1d:5a
miibus0: <MII bus> on msk0
e1000phy0: <Marvell 88E1149 Gigabit PHY> PHY 0 on miibus0
e1000phy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseTX-FDX, auto
mskc0: [FILTER]
fwohci0: Phy 1394a available S400, 2 ports.

edit /boot/loader.config with option
hw.msk.msi_disable=1
kills the OS and I can't even ssh to the box...

Marvell actually has freebsd 7.0 driver which I tried from  http://www.marvell.com/drivers but
this one just aggravated the whole thing to the point of current 7.1 being completely unstable.

After all of that I went to
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/msk/...
and got latest if_msk.c and if_mskreg.h rebuild the kernel and installed it and box went offline after good start on downloading portsnap.

Now I am getting four port pci-e card soon but that will be used as part of the NAS device I am building.
I wanted to use build in interface for administartion but I can't pass this driver issue.
Does anyone has any suggestion or possible fix  a side from disabiling it and geeting another cheap adapter.
--sasha