[nycbug-talk] BSDCampNYC

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at exit2shell.com
Tue Mar 31 11:32:49 EDT 2009

I floated this idea past the folks on the BSD Conference Organizers
mailing list and the response was overwhelming positive.
I wanted to open this idea up to a larger audience to try and gauge
people's interest. If enough people like the idea, maybe we
can have a larger discussion about it tomorrow after Brian Cully's talk

To give you a little background, after NYCBSDCon 2008, the NYCBUG
admin team got together and kicked around the idea of
making the conference biennial for a variety of different reasons.
Jason Dixon approached us with the idea of making both
NYCBSDCon and DCBSDCon a biennial conference, holding each conference
on alternating years.
The end result is that year to year there is a BSD conference
somewhere on the East Coast.

Due to a variety of reasons, it would be very difficult, if not
impossible to put on a conference in NYC in 2009. To be able
to bootstrap the alternating conferences schedule would require one of
the conferences to held annually for the
first two years.

With all that being said, I would like to start a discussion on what I
am calling BSDCampNYC.

Borrowing heavily from BarCamp and CloudCamp, the idea is to hold an
interactive, unscripted unconference in NYC
related to BSD Unix. There is no set agenda and you can propose your
own session or you can
attend a session proposed by someone else.

To get an idea of the general interest among the people on this list:

Would you be interested in attending something like this? (If so, are
you local to NYC, or would you be traveling?)
Would you be willing to hold a talk, or run a workshop?
What types of things would you be interested in seeing?

--
Steven Kreuzer
http://www.exit2shell.com/~skreuzer