[nycbug-talk] Make package-recursive problem

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Sun May 17 22:56:32 EDT 2009

> It should be fine to install the ports directly instead of from the master
> port.  I think the worst that will happen is you may need to clear out some
> duplicate lines in your httpd.conf.  Is pkgdb -F coming back with anything
> weird?

I'm not actually installing the ports.  I'm creating packages from the
ports and then installing them on another box.  Haven't run pkgdb -F.  The
thing is, these packages worked at one point.  For instance, when I did
"make package-recursive" inside the cacti directory, it creates php and
about 10 php modules, including php5-session.  And the php5-session
package worked fine.

But then, I immediately went to build a nagios package, did make
package-recursive, and for some reason, it re-created the dependency
packages, including session.  Except this time, php5-session became an
empty package.

At this point, I've just started running pkg_info -L on packages created
to make sure they have files.  Kind of a round about way of doing it, but
any packages that don't have files, I run back and do manually and
rebuild.

Like I said, my only worry is that when I do things like:

cd /usr/ports/lang/php5 && make package-recursive

and then:

cd /usr/ports/www/php5-session && make clean && make package

I wonder, since it's redownloading and re-compiling the code, are there
differences being created, or no?  I guess, if you compile something twice
on the same box, you'll always have the same outcome, right?

-M