[nycbug-talk] Do you guys/gals _____ify your _____ boxes?

Brian Cully bcully at gmail.com
Mon May 18 17:20:48 EDT 2009

On 18-May-2009, at 15:31, Matt Juszczak wrote:

> Do you guys/gals cfengineify your cfengine boxes?

	When I set up cfengine I clone the complete contents of the box to
every other box it manages. Thus any box can become any box with the
flip of a switch, including the cfengine master. This methodology
would probably apply to puppet itself.

> Do you guys/gals ldapify your ldap boxes?

	I don't use LDAP, but I do use Kerberos, and in that case, no, I do
not use Kerberos to manage access to the Kerberos server. I have no
real reason for this except that it assuages my security related
anxiety and if there's some issue with Kerberos I still need to get
access to that box somehow.

	FWIW, I consider my auth boxen to require the most restrictive kinds
of security. I don't even put telnet/ssh on them. If they have issues
you either need physical access or some other kind of highly secure
back channel to get into them and deal with it, so in that sense the
question doesn't even apply: you can't use Kerberos to auth non-
existent services.

-bjc