[nycbug-talk] OpenBSD large filesystem experiences?

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Tue May 19 16:53:00 EDT 2009

On 15-May-09, at 8:49 PM, mark.saad at ymail.com wrote:

> I hate to say it but zfs is your only choice in the 1TB size , and
> its freebsd or solaris on whole disks not partitions is the only
> option .

ermm...UFS on FreeBSD supports file systems larger than 1TB.  Although
background fsck's will take a fiscal month to complete...

thus said the manual:
The UFS2 filesystem was introduced in 2003 as a replacement to the
original UFS and provides 64 bit counters and offsets. This allows for
files and filesystems to grow to 2^73 bytes (2^64 * 512) in size and
hopefully be sufficient for quite a long time. UFS2 largely solved the
storage size limits imposed by the filesystem. Unfortunately, many
tools and storage mechanisms still use or assume 32 bit values, often
keeping FreeBSD limited to 2TB.

I'm not sure if obsd has merged the changes kirk et. al. made to the
new UFS or not so ymmv.

-pete