[nycbug-talk] another thread: sshd zombie attacks

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue May 19 19:32:38 EDT 2009

matt at atopia.net wrote:
> I just block connections after 3 failed login attempts for an hour. Works nicely.
>
> If anyone wants the script. I also have one that blocks after 3 attempts whether successful or not in 30 second period that only uses pf.

moving this to a different thread, which has been beaten to death in the
past. . .online and off :)

There's potential issues with having sshd listening on a nonprivileged port.

But the higher priority to me, at least at this point, is to be able to
bypass even dealing with the zombies.

I was convinced of it not because of "security by obscurity" (please,
don't bait with that), but because I heard cases of disk i/o going
through the ceiling under such attacks (in the ddos version of the
attack), and switching the listening port quickly changed it.  This is
*without* various scripts, firewall rules, etc., having the hassle and
the associated overhead in those respective cases.

These are zombies. . .they are looking at port 22, not another port at
this point.  They aren't (yet) smart enough to find other ports
listening for sshd and then adjusting from there.

"Hiding" among 65535 tcp ports is looking for obscurity if you're
talking about crackers.

Is it defense against crackers or future mutations of the zombie
attacks?  No. . . but then use public/private ssh keys, strong passwds,
firewall rules, etc.  Measure and counter-measure, with a lot of layers
before that.

So, the answer is 'yes', I like it, because now I don't have the
overhead, plus I read my relatively clean dailies everyday.

George

(please don't top-post. Reply inline or below.  It makes the threads
that get long easier to follow)