[nycbug-talk] Approach for the NFS cluster

Brian Cully bcully at gmail.com
Tue May 19 22:09:54 EDT 2009

On 19-May-2009, at 20:18, Jesse Callaway wrote:
> I think scalable, available storage is something everyone is thinking
> about. If anyone feels like presenting their experience to the group,
> please submit on the website's 'about' page.... maybe a few short
> presentations in one meeting like a X vs Y vs Z. I can see heated
> debate already. Who knows if it will get scheduled, but certainly good
> to post ideas.

	Databases have already solved many of these problems to the best they
can be solved. If you need robust network-available storage, use a
database and all that entails. If you want their qualities without
giving up current POSIX APIs, you'll be waiting a long, long time.

	In other words, the difference between one-to-many and many-to-many
is insurmountable: failure is not an option, it's a requirement.

	To re-re-rephrase, your requirements determine your solutions. Most
people don't need ACID for most of the things they do, so they
likewise don't need a proper database and all its requirements. By the
same hand, most people are fine with simple storage solutions. What
you require depends on your application and its requirements. Perhaps
what the world needs is a configurable HA system, rather than one
which tries to do one thing that works for everyone. To my knowledge,
there is none such animal.

-bjc