[nycbug-talk] Make package-recursive problem

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Fri May 22 00:53:19 EDT 2009

I don't want this thread to die.  If I'm correct, this is a huge bug in
the ports system.

I've started noticing more and more that packages I build are missing
files after they are rebuilt.

For instance, I have a build box (named atlantis for the sake of this
email): on atlantis, I build all packages with make package-recursive, and
then install them on all boxes.  This works fine, except that over time,
as I compile more packages, the ports system re-generates packages for
existing built packages (for instance, if I make a nagios package, it
recreates the apache package since that's a dependency.  If I then install
cacti, it recreates the apache package again).

This is normally no big deal, as I haven't touched my source tree, config
options, or anything like that.  99% of the time the packages are rebuilt
consistently.  However, since this point, I've had some php modules come
up empty (as in my original email), and now, I'm having some other flukes
as well.

If you'll see below, somehow, fontconfig, mysql-client, and python25 got
out of whack between my build box and a production webserver. Yet these
are the same packages - I didn't change a thing, other than install them
at different times.  But my build tree on atlantis has not been updated or
changed in any manor.  This obviously occured because make
package-recursive rebuild these packages at some point because they were
dependencies for other packages being installed.  Except that, obviously,
it didn't build the packages 100% identically to the time before:

local$ sh check2.sh
barfy -> fontconfig-2.6.0,1 isn't right
barfy -> mysql-client-5.0.77_1 isn't right
barfy -> python25-2.5.4_1 isn't right
local$ sh check3.sh
Server 1: atlantis
Server 2: barfy
Package: fontconfig
Password:
Password:
65,67d64
< /usr/local/share/doc/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html
< /usr/local/share/doc/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.pdf
< /usr/local/share/doc/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.txt