[nycbug-talk] cheap way to add drives to a 1U?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Wed Oct 28 19:08:45 EDT 2009

Any ideas?

I've got a 1U server available that has two SATA drive bays.  I need at
least four drives...

Any cheap way to bundle 2-4 drives in some kind of external case and bring
them back via eSATA or an SATA multilane cable?

I'm also on the fence about hw vs. sw RAID for this one.  In the past I've
noticed many folks running ZFS over a bunch of SATA drives tend to use a
decent HW RAID controller since historically some of the cheap 4+ port
add-on SATA cards are either buggy or not well supported.  If anyone has
input there regarding FBSD 8.0, that would be welcome...

Thanks,

Charles