[nycbug-talk] iPhone apps for unix-y people

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Thu Sep 17 19:47:07 EDT 2009

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, forest mars wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:
>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> For starters, I'm wondering if TouchTerm Pro is pretty much the definitive
>> ssh client.
>
> I'm not sure there is a definitive ssh client for the iPhone, each seems to
> have a crucial missing feature or reported issues. TouchTerm would seem to
> be the most popular one (perhaps owing to there being a free & a pro
> version) but AFAIK doesn't work over a VNC tunnel or have native iPhone 3.0
> c/p support (perhaps they have added this in the latest version, ymmv?) Have
> you looked at issh?

I ended up grabbing both TTPro and iSSH (for $5/each and not much feature
overlap, it's worthwhile).  iSSH has all the nifty tunneling stuff and a
vnc client, but lacks many terminal features.  It looks like TTPro has a
huge learning curve, but has some shortcuts to make up for the issues with
the lack of a real keyboard - gestures, on-screen macros, etc.  If I can
program in a number of shortcuts like "tail /var/log/blah",
"/usr/local/etc/rc.d/blah", "conf t", "ip route", etc. it should be nice
for emergencies.  There are a multitude of small differences - for example
both allow for quitting the app and resuming the session by managing
screen sessions for you, but TTPro lets you specify the "screen" program
so I can use my preferred "tmux" instead of "screen".  The list goes on...

Now to line up a good set of jumphosts.  Or some kind of portknocking
thing for direct access without having to jump through other hosts.
Decisions, decisions...

Thanks,

Charles