[nycbug-talk] meeting idea

Isaac Levy isaac at diversaform.com
Thu Apr 1 08:51:11 EDT 2010

On Mar 31, 2010, at 12:39 PM, George Rosamond wrote:

> We have the next three or so meetings (pretty much) set right now. . .
>
> But for another "open" type meeting, like the December meeting on "Your Tips as Presents" (http://www.nycbug.org/index.php?NAV=Home;SUBM=10239), how about a similar format with a bunch of people illustrating a port/package that:
>
> * they use
>
> * that is solves a common problem
>
> * that others probably don't know about or aren't using for a particular problem
>
> I've noticed that after a default install of *any* BSD box, many people  have a few ports that they always install immediately. . . often regardless of the role of the box.
>
> No, not perl, sudo (on non-OpenBSD boxes), or some standard shell.
>
> More like xtail, mtr, whatever.
>
> Thoughts on this?

I like this meeting idea- these simple and fun meetings often turn out to be the best.

--
Heck, I don't want to steal your thunder with a full meeting, but muscle memory almost involuntarily makes me pump out (FreeBSD):

pkg_add -r bash && pkg_add -r sudo dtach xtail lsof rsync curl wget

Rocket-
.ike