[nycbug-talk] odd vi question

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sun Apr 4 14:44:04 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Using the stock FreeBSD vi (which is nvi), I'm finding some odd behavior
that I've not seen before when editing some html files with spaces in
their names.

I open the file, either by cutting and pasting the filename or using
tab-completion, and it opens with no errors.  I make a few changes and
then write-quit (:wq).  When doing that on this set of html files, I
always get this prompt:

42/1255022332 Distribution Center_Converted.html: 46312 lines,
2854816 characters.
Press any key to continue:

It's the filename, a summary of lines/characters in the file and then a
propmpt to continue.  Pressing any key continues closing the file with no
errors.

I've never seen this before and can't reproduce it with other files with
spaces in their names.  What am I not seeing that's unique about these
files?  What is the purpose of this prompt?

Thanks,

Charles