[nycbug-talk] Sanity check on new naming scheme

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Thu Apr 8 14:05:42 EDT 2010

mikel king writes:

> You can forgo the whole .internal or .local or .lcl naming scheme
> altogether. I my opinion it adds a layer of complexity that really isn't

Unless the names represent NICs on different VLANs and  programs need to use
one or the other to reach a machine. Perfect example a machine that somehow
acts as a data mover may only have access to the internal VLAN. Such machine
would need to use only the internal names.

Another example could be performance. Perhaps there are different
switches/routers/routes.. on the internal side and it is more efficient to
use the internal network for certain functions.