[nycbug-talk] OpenSolaris dead

Justin Dearing zippy1981 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 22:06:13 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 9:48 PM, George Rosamond <
george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:

> I have not read the whole document, but certainly there's open questions
> about ZFS (which I have heard is a full, irrevocable fork), dtrace, etc.

If its a full fork, and non Sun/Oracle employees have been porting it to
FreeBSD, whats the big deal there?

> I'd assume that there's a wide audience of developers and users who will be
> looking for a new home. . .
>
> Solaris was only open source for a few years. Other than those that jumped
on the Solaris band wagon after the open sourcing, I'm not sure who feels
they are in need of a new home. Also, thats only a big deal for kernel and
some core userland developers.

Don't get me wrong, things are getting interesting from here, but I don't
think its going to be that big of a deal in retrospect. The only big deal
outcome is if Oracle ends up re open sourcing it. If Oracle increases
Solaris's popularity after close sourcing it, it proves Oracle is a better
business than Sun, not that Close source is a better business model than
Open Source. You have Linux and the BSDs proving the viability of Open
Source OS development.

Justin