[nycbug-talk] spamd and large providers

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Aug 17 17:13:41 EDT 2010

On 08/17/10 16:19, Marco Scoffier wrote:
> On 08/17/2010 01:21 PM, George Rosamond wrote:
>> For spamd users, how are you dealing with the normal delays associated
>> with large providers with varying and multiple pools of SMTP servers?
>>
>> White listing the appropriate networks?
>>
>> Real hassle with Yahoo, Mac.com, XO. . .
>>
> I think you are asking about how large providers react to greylisting?

More how small provider react to large providers when using greylisting :)

> I maintain a pretty large whitelist
>
> spamd -a<ip>
>
> And have scripts to read spf records for a few large domains an
> automatically update the main white list
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # called from a cron-job to update the white and black lists
> # update whitelist this is a bypass in pf.rules
> for domain in _spf.google.com aol.com facebookmail.com
> in.constantcontact.com bluehost.com
> do
>    /bin/echo \#$domain;
>    /usr/bin/dig $domain TXT +short | tr "\ " "\n" | grep ^ip4: | cut -d: -f2;
> done>/usr/local/etc/spamd/mywhite
> cat /usr/local/etc/spamd/whitelist_ip.txt>>/usr/local/etc/spamd/mywhite
> # reload the rules
> /sbin/pfctl -t spamd-mywhite -T replace -f /usr/local/etc/spamd/mywhite
>
> you can also whitelist a block
> eg:
>
> 76.13.9         # yahoo
> 66.163.169      # yahoo
> 98.136.45       # yahoo

Right. . . that's what I figured as stated above.

> It seems most providers have adapted to retrying with the same server.

Right for one email delivery session. . . but not necessarily the next time.

> I haven't updated this in quite a while so hopefully someone has a more
> recent solution.

That's really what I'm seeking. . . white listing blocks is
straight-forward enough. . . the question is there anything else?