[nycbug-talk] OT: Favorite Linux Distro (based on FreeBSD experience?)

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Wed Aug 25 16:03:11 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

I need to choose a standard Linux distribution for a project I'm working
on.  Most of my experience is FreeBSD, but Linux is required here.

The available options are:

     * Debian
     * Ubuntu
     * Centos
     * Arch
     * Gentoo
     * Fedora

While I like CentOS, I don't like the lack of packages native to the OS.
For instance, MongoDB and PHP and other packages are super old versions
(if they exist at all).

Ubuntu is good, because it has all the latest software packages, but I
don't like how much automation it tries to do.  For instance - install a
package, and shockingly, the package will start automatically at the end
of the install!  Too much automation, and too heavy.  Perhaps I'm letting
this bother me too much?

Last I heard, Debian was a good choice, and had a "testing" version with a
lot of good packages.  I used it once about 6 years ago, not sure where it
is now.

No experience with Gentoo or Arch, though I hear Gentoo has a good ports
system implementation.  Arch seems to be good too, with lots of up to date
packages.

Fedora... I know nothing about, other than it's EOL pretty quickly.

Any suggestions?  Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

-Matt