[nycbug-talk] OT: Favorite Linux Distro (based on FreeBSD experience?)

David Lawson dave at donnerjack.com
Wed Aug 25 16:47:46 EDT 2010

On Aug 25, 2010, at 4:41 PM, Matt Juszczak wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> Thanks for the reply/comments.
>
> I'm very much trying to decide at this point between Arch and CentOS. Gentoo seems exciting because of the ports, but other than that, it sounds like it's not what I'm looking for.  Ubuntu+Fedora are too hand holding for me.
>
> Which would you choose between Arch and CentOS?

I'll second or third Pete's recommendation for CentOS.  It may not be what I'd run personally, but in terms of deploying to production, it'd be my first choice.  I've got a large CentOS deployment and what little annoyances I've had with software being behind current, I can usually get around by snagging an RPM or rolling one myself.

--Dave