[nycbug-talk] A simple end-of-year poll

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Tue Dec 28 16:57:19 EST 2010

George Rosamond writes:

> Hosting email has got to be one of the most under-appreciated services.

Agree, but market is what it is. Even google only charges $5/month and it is
for some insane amount of space.

> seconds over-latency ridden residential connections, then don't expect
> to pay a lot.

I think 2 to 5 per mailbox per month is the most people will be willing to
pay regardless of how much space you give them. The only people that pay
more than that are usually Microsoft exchange users and Lotus notes users.

> If I hosted email, it would be uucp or hard copy print-outs delivered by
> snail mail, with mailbox sizes 200 k max.  And no SLA.

That would be a hobby not a business, because you would have no customers.
:-)

> You have issues even though they winded down a while ago, and you don't
> want to pay >$20 a month.

Perceived value is just that.. what people perceive it to be. Unfortunately,
for those trying to run a business on the email market, the price people are
willing to pay for email is low.

> Stick to gmail or something.

Even hosted gmail is cheaper than the price listed by LuxSci for 2 accounts.
LuxSci may be cheaper over more accounts, but I was looking for a small
domain that only has 2 accounts.

Over the years I have had hosted email on many different companies and sadly
at one point or another every one has had some growing pains and expericed
large dowtimes; so I figure if no matter where I go there will be downtime,
may as well find a good value.

Currently I am leaning towards giving Maia mailguard a try and self host all
my domains and if that goes well all my small business customers.