[nycbug-talk] OT: Google Plans Ultra High-Speed Residential Networks

Ah Pook ahpook at verizon.net
Wed Feb 10 13:58:17 EST 2010

On Wednesday 10 February 2010, George Rosamond wrote:
> There are two questions really, though. . . would *you* use it?. . .
>  and would most people use it?
>
> I think a layer of people would avoid it. . . the same people using
>  Tor, i2p, JAP, web proxies, etc.

I tend to fall in that group, and I'd order it in a heartbeat.  It would
take two seconds to set up local rules to choose a connection based on
destination/protocol/whatever, right?  Then you can just have a
whitelist of stuff you don't care if Goog sees.  Or go the Tor route, of
course.  :)

If anything, it's another level of competition.  If they're even
remotely close to VZ/CV in price, things are going to shake up.  (Many)
New Yorkers probably don't know how spoiled they are to have cable and
fiber duking it out here.  Lots of the country is still hanging out in
1998, speed-wise.  Not like Google's first test market is going to be
Bismarck or anything, but still...