[nycbug-talk] OT: Google Plans Ultra High-Speed Residential Networks

Jim B. jpb at sixshooter.v6.thrupoint.net
Wed Feb 10 18:06:49 EST 2010

* Steven Kreuzer <skreuzer at exit2shell.com> [2010-02-10 16:18]:

> On Feb 10, 2010, at 1:43 PM, George Rosamond wrote:
>
> > mikel king wrote:

> >> And we all know how easy it is fishing in a bucket... especially for the T-800 series... ;-)
> >
> > Without doubt, the Google point about inadequate residential data infrastructure is valid. . . The US is in the second tier, IMHO, of countries with internet access in the world.
> >
> > How many US colos would close if we all had the standard .jp access at home? :)
>
> I have a feeling this is basically a bluff similar to what Google did when the FCC auctioned off the 700 MHz band.
> The main reason they decided to do this is simply to put some pressure on the other providers to start making the necessary upgrades.
> I am sure Google is sitting on plenty of products or at least ideas for products that they can't roll out because they would require much better pipes on the end user side.

ISTR hearing some years ago that Goog bought *a lot* of dark fiber from the Tier-1s
(and whoever did the digging).

Perhaps they are now testing what would amount to a 'last-mile' service, i.e. "How much
does it cost to actually install and run the last mile?"

If so, a big problem I see is rights-of-way.  This will mean that they will have
to negotiate space on a lot of poles and ducts to get it into your house.
That's a lot of lawyering.

Have they hired a bunch of temp lawyers lately?

- Jim B.