[nycbug-talk] Reboot into single user mode remotely

Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com
Thu Feb 11 13:14:31 EST 2010

Hello talk,
  I have a good question, how would you reboot a remote server into single usermode and make it run a script , and the bring it back up . The issue I have is I need to run tunefs on a few servers that I don't have console access on . I want to make it as hands off as I can , I don't want to ssh into 50 servers , if I don't have to . The filesystmes are / and /var so I can't unmount them on the running box and do what I need to . FreeBSD's tunefs will not let you turn softupdates and volume lables on on a filesystem that was previously mounted r/w .

That's it in a nut shell , I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't need to and I would like to do this all while I sleep ;) .

Mark Saad | mark.saad at ymail.com