[nycbug-talk] OpenBSD "router shell"

Okan Demirmen okan at demirmen.com
Mon Jan 4 21:27:36 EST 2010

On Wed 2009.12.30 at 23:37 -0500, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> This is new to me, thought I'd share:
>
> http://www.nmedia.net/nsh/
>
> "NSH consolidates configuration for interfaces, bridging, routing, PF
> packet filtering, NAT, queueing, BGP, OSPF, RIP, IPsec, DHCP, DVMRP, SNMP,
> relayd, sshd, inetd, ftp-proxy, resolv.conf and NTP. It presents the user
> with a vaguely cisco-like interface with all configuration in one easy to
> read text list.
>
> It also gives the user access to system information and diagnostics. NSH
> replaces the userland commands which handle these functions, and talks
> directly to the OpenBSD kernel or control utility for daemon
> functionality."

before investing time, make sure it will stay close to whatever release
you plan on running.  right now it "supports" 4.5 - i don't know
anything about nsh, but i can tell you things change at a good pace.  i
do however know the author is fully aware of the rate of change...

nothing useful from me here, but i'll send anyway ;)