[nycbug-talk] beyond monthly meetings

Jesse Callaway bonsaime at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 00:13:49 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Isaac Levy <isaac at diversaform.com> wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2010, at 3:38 PM, George Rosamond wrote:
>>
>> Isaac Levy wrote:

>>> Yes here too-

>>> I really like this idea- especially if the speaker really works heavily
>>> with that particular *BSD, I think there would something for everyone to
>>> learn...
>>
>> speaker?  We're talking apples and, er, volvos here. .
>
> OK- then I missed the point,
>

>> Aren't we talking about something a bit looser than a speaker?  What's the
>> diff with our regular meetings then?

> I have no idea really.  I mean, if anybody just showed up, who may or may
> not know anything about, say, NetBSD, why should I go?  (I'm not a NetBSD
> user- but am "very technical" and would likely learn something cool from an
> overview on it, from somebody who uses it).  Why should I go?  Why not just
> stay home and install NetBSD and hack around?
>
> Rocket-
> .ike

It's more social, anarchic. Whereas in the meetings (shut up, i go to
them invisibly) I appreciate order and less peanut gallery, though
questions are always nice. It's the answers from the audience I don't
like. A "let's talk later" is much more appreciated than a
sub-dissertation stealing focus from the guest lecturer. Which I
appreciate nobody doing while my friend Ed Capriolo gives his talk
tomorrow night.

I would much rather get the expert opinion on the matter at hand than
to get someone's possibly equally expert opinion on some altogether
other matter. That is what the talk list is for, not the Talk.

This other venue and meeting would be a place for all to speak their
mind on things such as linux, netbsd, the pope, etc. Being there and
hacking on net may or may not be more productive than hacking at home,
but there would be the immediate benefit of actual people who you can
say "Hey!" to and get their opinion.

I can't answer for Okan, but this is the type of scenario I'm
interested in for sure.

To answer directly to your questions, Ike. I dunno, I'm thinking
something to attract people who are knowledgeable about a particular
subject might be good. In general, no particular topic. But as the
need arise possibly like what? Could we give out sterling silver
loving cups to those who are deemed most helpful. How about everyone
has to pony up $5 to anyone who:

1. commits to a BSD project (packages, and documentation obviously
included) while at the meeting
2. provides the most useful BSD related information/tip to those in
attendance (through ballot with each person's name)

The money can be used towards drinks for self or all, or charity as
the awarded sees fit.

Thought being on #2 is if there 1/3 or more vote for one person then
they get the pot, otherwise nobody gets it. So basically if there are
3 people then you'd have to think long and hard about who you really
thought deserves the prize money and cast your non-secret votes.
Someone would walk away with $10 here.

(this is starting to get complicated here...)

It might take verification to see what is actually a helpful tip and
what is just a straight out drunken lie. In this case voting would be
done the next day and payment via paypal... If the winner does not
want to claim the prize, then the aforementioned charity clause goes
into effect and the winner must provide a cause (likely a BSD project,
or developer, but could be a food charity etc)

I don't think $5 is too much to ask, but this voting thing might be
too much. Or it could be fun! What do you all think?

-jesse