[nycbug-talk] zfs backup scripts?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sat Jan 9 00:17:41 EST 2010

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Isaac Levy wrote:

> Hi Charles,
>
> On Jan 8, 2010, at 3:26 AM, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> There's lots of stuff out there, but I'm looking for something that
>> basically works like "rsnapshot", but rather than doing all the linking
>> magic rsnapshot does, it uses zfs snapshots (and has a nice retention
>> config for daily/weekly/yearly snapshots)...
>>
>> Has anyone found such a beast?  This might very well be a case of everyone
>> rolling their own, as that's what I'm tempted to do at this point, and I'm
>> not a big fan of writing something when it already exists.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Charles
>

> Been using ZFS for both our NFS servers and backup machines, and we rolled
> our own scripts to snapshot the volumes, pulled from cron.

OT a bit, but FreeBSD or Solaris?  Are you happy with the stability of the
whole kit and kaboodle?

> The hardest part was getting people various groups to come clean on their
> backup needs, so we could get the frequency vs. storage needs to fit our
> budget.

That I'm OK with.  What I hate is any type of perl or shell script that
has to deal with days, weeks, months and years.  I've got a serious mental
block on that stuff.. Most of my time hacking this mess together will be
looking for perl modules I imagine.

I am finding a TON of "rolling snapshot" scripts, but I really want to
come closer to emulating a good old-fashioned backup setup that lets me
keep X yearly, Y monthly, Z weekly and ZZ daily sets of backups.  Gnash
gnash gnash.