[nycbug-talk] zfs backup scripts?

Isaac Levy isaac at diversaform.com
Sat Jan 9 08:29:39 EST 2010

On Jan 9, 2010, at 12:17 AM, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Isaac Levy wrote:
>
>> Hi Charles,
>>
>> On Jan 8, 2010, at 3:26 AM, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>>
>>> Howdy,
>>> There's lots of stuff out there, but I'm looking for something
>>> that basically works like "rsnapshot", but rather than doing all
>>> the linking magic rsnapshot does, it uses zfs snapshots (and has a
>>> nice retention config for daily/weekly/yearly snapshots)...
>>> Has anyone found such a beast?  This might very well be a case of
>>> everyone rolling their own, as that's what I'm tempted to do at
>>> this point, and I'm not a big fan of writing something when it
>>> already exists.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Charles
>>

>> Been using ZFS for both our NFS servers and backup machines, and we
>> rolled our own scripts to snapshot the volumes, pulled from cron.
>
> OT a bit, but FreeBSD or Solaris?

FreeBSD 7.1 (very conservative builds), and we're slowly moving the
storage systems to 8.0, where ZFS is no longer listed as 'experimental'.
All on huge greybox Intel hardware.

> Are you happy with the stability of the whole kit and kaboodle?

Absolutely.

>> The hardest part was getting people various groups to come clean on
>> their backup needs, so we could get the frequency vs. storage needs
>> to fit our budget.
>
> That I'm OK with.  What I hate is any type of perl or shell script
> that has to deal with days, weeks, months and years.  I've got a
> serious mental block on that stuff.. Most of my time hacking this
> mess together will be looking for perl modules I imagine.

I believe we did it all in shell scripts without much grief, and any
perl we use has no add-on modules.

> I am finding a TON of "rolling snapshot" scripts, but I really want
> to come closer to emulating a good old-fashioned backup setup that
> lets me keep X yearly, Y monthly, Z weekly and ZZ daily sets of
> backups.  Gnash gnash gnash.

May I suggest dropping shell scripts into /etc/periodic/daily ,
weekly , monthly?

Reliable, portable, easy- IMHO.

Rocket-
.ike