[nycbug-talk] [OT] Google patents MapReduce

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Thu Jan 21 14:05:37 EST 2010

Steven Kreuzer writes:

> This article lists a few reasons why its in Google's best interest to not enforce the patent.
> http://gigaom.com/2010/01/19/why-hadoop-users-shouldnt-fear-googles-new-mapreduce-patent/

I don't even understand how the patent was granted to begin with. As the
article points out so many of the concepts that make up MapReduce have
existed for so long that if it really came down to it Yahoo and IBM may be
able to fight to get the patent invalidated.

> Does this mean we can officially call Google evil?

Unless they do something with the patent we can't really say what their
motive is.