[nycbug-talk] OT: objective C

Okan Demirmen okan at demirmen.com
Wed Jan 27 09:41:35 EST 2010

On Wed 2010.01.27 at 09:04 -0500, nikolai wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I consider myself to be an experienced systems admin, mysql DBA, lamp
> > developer, etc. However, where my weakness lies is not knowing a solid,
> > lower level programming language like C and/or object C.
> >
> > What would be the best way to learn something like this? Books? Classes?
> > Auditing a college course?
> >
> > Thanks for any advice you can give. I figure as most of you are systems
> > admins as well, many have dabbled in the realms of C.
> >

> Matt,
>
> These two classic but still excellent books will get you pretty far:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language_(book)
> http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/tpop/

in addition, read simple and good code; you will start to understand,
and then you can play.

knowing what "good" code is hard though without experience - the
interwebs (heck and even some books) have way way way more bad code than
good - shy away in most cases, or at least ask yourself as you
read...look for simple bits from something you want to understand.

cheers,
okan