[nycbug-talk] "make -jN" in freebsd ports

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed Jun 16 19:55:34 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 07:32:22PM -0400, Justin Dearing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running freebsd after a long hiatus on a vbox vm in my new 8 core i7. I
> was installling mongodb and I wanted to speed things up the way one normally
> does when running make on a multicore box "make -j4 install" (or whatever).
> Anyway after about half a second the port install failed.
>
> So is this just a ports collection limitation? is there some envirormental
> variable I can pass to make that it will pass to the actual make/scons
> process of the tarball being built?

this is most likely expected.  there has been some changes commited to
/usr/ports/MK/bsd.port.mk that allow you to define this.  I think this
will allow ports that have been deemed safe to use the "-j" switch to be
built with the amount of jobs you have defined.  The variables are:

# MAKE_JOBS_SAFE
# MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE
# DISABLE_MAKE_JOBS
# FORCE_MAKE_JOBS

IIRC you would define these variables in
/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.options.mk.  The manual should be read to verify
though :)

HTH!
-pete

--