[nycbug-talk] good cross-platform shell notes?

Isaac Levy isaac at diversaform.com
Sun Mar 14 13:13:07 EDT 2010

Hi All,

I'm looking to collect good comprehensive pages regarding cross-platform shell scripting, you know, the gotchas with all the basic utilities between UNIX, BSD, and Linux systems- and some of the common minor shell gotchas.

Does anyone have any URL suggestions?

Usually, when I'm really getting persnickety about portability, I rely on the man pages for various platforms- but this can be extremely time consuming...  For example, grep caret issues:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=grep&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+8.0-RELEASE&format=html
- vs -
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=grep&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=CentOS+Linux%2Fi386+5.4&format=html

--
I'm certain there's plenty of folks out there who manage lots of heterogeneous UNIX/BSD/Linux environments?

One such comparison page I've found is:
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/DOCUMENTATION/OpenSource/Conceptual/ShellScripting/PortingScriptstoMacOSX/PortingScriptstoMacOSX.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40004268-TP40003517-SW2

Any other good resources out there?  A big-ol' table of notes would rock my world...

Best,
.ike