[nycbug-talk] a new direction for NYC*BUG

Isaac Levy isaac at diversaform.com
Mon Mar 22 09:53:49 EDT 2010

On Mar 19, 2010, at 4:00 PM, Jim B. wrote:

> * George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> [2010-03-19 12:37]:
>> There have been various on and off-line discussions about how to move
>> NYC*BUG forward.
>>
>> I wrote up this doc recently as an overview to a new approach.
>>
>> I alluded to some of the ideas at the last meeting. . . that we would
>> work to provide something of an "open source platform" for various
>> projects spawned out of NYC*BUG.
>>
>> Various people on admin@ and off it have looked at the doc. . . and I
>> look forward to opening up this discussion to the talk list.
>>
>> As a quick operational note, we need 3 large IDE drives to build out a
>> jail box for the base functionality we are looking to provide.
>>
>> Anyway, read on, and let the discussion begin.
>>
>> *	*	*
>

> I think this is a great idea, and one that will benefit everyone in the long run.
> Even if you don't have a project idea today, you might think up something tomorrow.
>
> Having a resource like this is a perfect for trying things out and seeing
> what works, without having to spend a small fortune of your own money doing it.
>
> This is what's great about NYCBUG- out front, trying things out, seeing what works.
>
> Kudos George! And many thanks to the rest of the admin team.
>
> Jim B.

I agree with Jim's sentiment- especially insomuch as the idea doesn't put pressure on things to *have* to succeed, or to *have* to have encumbering formality wrapped around them- cool things can emerge.

--
With that, I for one have a small idea- git/cvs repository(ies)?  I for one have a ton of collected shell/utility scripts collected/hacked-on over years- and I'd love to dump them somewhere quazi-communal?  Heck, I even have a ton of collected configs for various things that make my life easier- and I'd love to share it (esp. in some place where it may get feedback/better?)
I'm thinking of some repo with some idea of user directories- (gitweb looks pretty simple to setup and maintain- though I've only played with it so far...)

Rocket-
.ike