[nycbug-talk] a new direction for NYC*BUG

Isaac Levy isaac at diversaform.com
Thu Mar 25 09:42:48 EDT 2010

Word,

On Mar 24, 2010, at 11:04 PM, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Isaac Levy writes:
>
>> Down to brass tacks, does anyone on list object to using Git?
>
> No objection, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on Mercurial..
> Found this Git vs Mercurial comparison.
>
> http://importantshock.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/git-vs-mercurial
> Both are able tools with Pros and Cons.
> The one thing I have seen from the little I have looked at Mercurial, it likely will be easier to learn for someone coming from CVS or Subversion.
> From what I have read it seems GIT would have a higher learning curve for a CVS/Subersvion user.

Interesting comparison article- thx for posting!

One question I still have unanswered about hg/mercurial: does it treat directories as files, or metadata?  A former boss with great dev experence and generally good taste, was very much smitten with git- mostly because of it's unix toolchain design.  Except, it's big shortcoming (which he quickly made evident to me), was that directories themselves were not treated as file like objects- just metadata in the git backend.

It sounds nit-picky, but for many systems type repo uses, this one feature can be extremely frustrating.

Anyone else with words on Mercurial?

Best,
.ike