[nycbug-talk] a new direction for NYC*BUG

Isaac Levy isaac at diversaform.com
Thu Mar 25 09:47:46 EDT 2010

On CVS,

On Mar 25, 2010, at 8:09 AM, John Baldwin wrote:

> On Thursday 25 March 2010 3:20:19 am Andy Kosela wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 4:04 AM, Francisco Reyes <lists at stringsutils.com> wrote:
>>
>>> For all the fervor/fanaticism other tools get I find CVS still gets the job
>>> done for small in-house projects.
>>
>> I second that.  Even for medium sized projects CVS still rocks.  Look
>> how many years FreeBSD project survived with that.
>
> FreeBSD was helped by the fact that we also have a p4 depot setup to do side
> branches in (I do all my non-trivial feature branches in p4).  I still use
> CVS for small things myself.  If you want to offer a centralized SCM host I
> would offer svn though (even if it is a bit of a pig performance-wise) as
> changesets are too useful to pass up compared to CVS for new projects IMO.
>
> I can't offer any useful opinion on git vs hg.

Two big important things about CVS which just struck me:

- it's part of the base system on *BSD, and in one way or another, (nothing extra to install)

- it's part of the common developers toolset for *BSD

Pretty compelling reasons to me suddenly, insomuch as knowledge of these tools makes everyone more capable of engaging with the projects...

Other thoughts on this point?
(BTW are we alienating the rcs users with this thread? :)

Best,
.ike