[nycbug-talk] a new direction for NYC*BUG

Isaac Levy isaac at diversaform.com
Thu Mar 25 15:09:55 EDT 2010

On Mar 25, 2010, at 3:02 PM, George Rosamond wrote:
> Chris Snyder wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Chris Snyder <chsnyder at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The trick with a community repository is that you're really talking
>>> about creating a bunch of independent repositories, rather than one
>>> big one. Hans doesn't want me committing my sloppy code into his
>>> project, I'm sure.
>>>
>>> So whatever you choose, make sure the administrative overhead of
>>> creating new repositories and assigning commit rights is handled in an
>>> elegant way. And if you need to invent that wheel, that's a great seed
>>> project for the new repo. Nothing like eating your own dogfood...
>>>
>> Oh, and that said, you could offer a choice. Hans prefers svn, I
>> prefer hg, but they are separate repos so it doesn't matter.
>> You would need a meta-list of projects somewhere, but I think you'll
>> need that anyway?
>> Stop me if I've had too much caffeine.
>
> LOL. . . yeah, but you made *the* valid point.
>
> What do we need?  managing independent repositories for an array of people.
>
> We're trying to find the right tool for the project, not debate the merits of every option for the sake of it.

Terrific Chris, I agree with George here.

This is indeed the point: this idea requires many different repositories for an array of people.

The cleanest/simplest way is likely the best way to go,

--
Thoughts on everyone's experience with various approaches?

I'm now going to read up on how github is laid out:
  http://github.com/
And try to find out what the heck this is:
  http://cvshub.org/

Rocket-
.ike