[nycbug-talk] OT: Caching

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed May 5 12:44:04 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 05:44:16PM +0000, Matt Juszczak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering how many of you have experience with caching on an http level?  I would like to get more familiar with it.
>
> For high traffic sites, it seems a combination of ha proxy for load balancing, nginx for serving content, varnish for caching content, and esi somewhere in the midst of all that is a popular way to deploy. Other tend to replace nginx with apache. What setups have people on this list used, and what seems to be the most flexible?

Hi Matt,
One architecture I've deployed is to use some sort of server load
balancer (be it a dedicated appliance like an F5 BigIP, some linux boxen
running ipvs or even DNS round robbin depending on the nature of your
traffic).  I've been working lately with varnish quite a bit and am
quite impressed.  it also supports basic load balancing capabilities as
well as caching static content for GET requests.

http://varnish-cache.org/

oh, and it was written by PHK :)

aside from that - behind the SLB and caching layer its more of finding
the server that can suit your needs right?  i'm a fan of lighttpd for
static content or simple cgi applications for example.

HTH!
-pete