[nycbug-talk] Adobe Openmarkets .

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Thu May 13 09:56:15 EDT 2010

On 05/13/10 08:07, Mark Saad wrote:
> Hello Talk
> Adobe released a nice open letter on how "open" they are.
>
> http://www.adobe.com/choice/openmarkets.html
>

> I say we strike while the irons hot and ask , where is the native support for BSD ?
> If they "believe open markets" lets see an open source version of the flash player / plugin
> that works with something other then linux  windows and mac.

Yes. . there's that petition that's been out for years about FreeBSD
Flash support.

http://www.petitiononline.com/flash4me/petition.html

But the more general point is that software (and hardware) firms support
standards, much less open source, in an odd way.

Many do put some resources into open source development, and sometimes
not even for their own self-interest.

And it's often determined by their control (or lack of) in a particular
market.

Who wants the playing field open when they are dominating?  Yet those
firms also are frequent contributors to open source in one way or
another for a variety of reasons.  Sometimes just for public image purposes.

Holding a minority market share in an arena usually propels firms to
push for open standards and open source.

Surprise, surprise.

IMHO, that's the context of the Jobs' comments and this Adobe reply.

AFAIK, Adobe is still a huge infrastructure user of BSDs in its internal
operations.