[nycbug-talk] Adobe Openmarkets .

fire crow fire at firecrow.com
Thu May 13 10:48:29 EDT 2010

Source is not the only kind of open,

" We publish the specifications for Flash — meaning anyone can make
their own Flash player."
- http://www.adobe.com/choice/openmarkets.html

thats absolutely true, when JSConf took place in DC last month, I met
Tobias Schnieder who has build
a flash decompiler that runs in the browser in javascript and replaces
the flash object with it's SVG
equivilent

http://github.com/tobeytailor/gordon

he said the Flash spec was complete and very useful.

"We believe that consumers should be able to freely access their
favorite content and applications, regardless of what computer they
have, what browser they like, or what device suits their needs."
- http://www.adobe.com/choice/openmarkets.html

that's absolutely true

This post from adobe is admirable in comparison to jobs remarks...
which were... entertaining
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

and the facts behind it here from os news
http://www.osnews.com/story/23224/Jobs_on_Flash_Hypocrisy_So_Thick_You_Could_Cut_it_with_a_Knife

I'm not a big fan of flash, but working with the Flex SDK in my
command line linux environment was much easier than working with other
major company tools, such as XCode, Eclipse, or Visual Studio.

Also adobes adoption of the never released ECMA Script 4 for it's
ActionScript 3, did alot to move forward the spec for ECMA Script 5,
which could have significant security improvements for javasript
mostly with the introduction of immutable data types.

so while Adobe does not contribute to the open source community, they
have effected it in some positive ways. But it is a good thing ECMA
Script 4 was never an official spec :)

~fire
http://firecrow.com : 917.306.9451