[nycbug-talk] Cacti Alternatives?

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Thu May 13 20:11:16 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'd like to set something up like cacti, but I'd really like to automate
the creation of the graphs and templates with either puppet (which talks
to LDAP for nodes) or LDAP directly.  Just like powerDNS is a great
alternative for bind that allows an LDAP backend, I'm looking for an
alternative to cacti (or a way to make cacti do what I want) that would
allow me to use puppet, or LDAP directly, to add graphs to cacti and
manage them.

Does anyone have any ideas?  What have others done?  It seems like one
could always write a process that would read data from LDAP and execute
the command line scripts for cacti (or have puppet execute the command
line scripts for cacti based on node data in LDAP).

Thanks!

-Matt