[nycbug-talk] BSD based web hosting

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Nov 30 20:57:44 EST 2010

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, mikel king wrote:

> Greetings all.
>
> I know this pops up on the list every once in a while but perhaps there
> is some updated information out there. I am researching BSD based
> hosting providers for a forthcoming article on BSD News.
>
> Physical Server Hosting (self explanatory, Server rental)

I've been using a box at SoftLayer for going on two years now.  While they
are not "FreeBSD only", it is a supported option on their rented servers.
They seem to have decent knowledge of the platform and haven't given me
any BS about "well, you're not running Linux/Windows, so...".  There's
also a FreeBSD-specific forum on their customer boards.

They've had a few silly network failures that I chalk up to growing pains.
The Tipping Point "filter my apache logs of garbage for me" is a nice free
add-on.  Their "IP/KVM" is really just an IPMI card, which mostly works.
If it doesn't, they deal with it for me.  The vpn access to the internal
network also has come in handy.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with them.  They could be a little cheaper, but
maybe post-Planet merger things will get cheaper...

Charles