[nycbug-talk] Building E-mail Infrastructure Slides

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sun Sep 5 20:45:52 EDT 2010

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Bruno Scap writes:
>
>> Depending on what the customers want, how clean their lists
>
> Even with clean lists it is always a problem. All the mailings I deal with
> are pretty much guaranteed to be valid users and yet people forget or don't
> want to be bothered and sometimes mark the emaisl as spam instead of using
> the unsubscribe option.

Correct.  Or if you do sign up for feedback loops, you see that lots of
people ar just really, really f-ing stupid.  I see stuff from AOL, TW, and
MSN subs that is clearly personal mail (including responses to resumes,
booty calls, and other "important" communication) that the recipient has
hit the "MARK AS SPAM" button on.  That email then gets forwarded to the
FBL owner's abuse box.  It's absolutely stunning what people will click
the spam button on.  I think some simply use it in place of delete.

>> Do you mean a service that would whitelist your IPs and tell for example
>> Yahoo about them?
>
> Yes.
>> I believe all big guys (AOL, Yahoo, etc.) have such services on their
>> websites, and you can set up what they call a feedback loop.

Anyone that sends a large quantity of email should have an FBL setup.  AOL
makes it easy, Hotmail/Live/MSN is a bit of a pain, TW was easy.

> I have tried going directly to the large providers, but it's a pain so I am
> going to spend the effort more on finding a company to do the whitelisting.

While I don't know of anyone that does that (there are the firms that
provide "reputation services"), I can hook you up with a mailing list
company that may be able to work with you.  They have an API that you can
use to send "double opt-in" bulk content, and they have gone to the
trouble over the many years I've worked for them to maintain relationships
with all the major ISPs.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll put you in contact with someone.

Thanks,

Charles