[nycbug-talk] Document Manager as part of Ports Tree?

Chris Snyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 15:14:30 EDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Matt Juszczak <matt at atopia.net> wrote:

> How about plain old Apache WebDAV?
>>
>> As a plus, you can mount the managed folders as OS-level filesystems on
>> desktops.
>>

> I haven't worked with webDAV, other than with SVN, but it wasn't setup by
> me.
>
> Does Firefox support WebDAV HTTP methods or would I need to use a different
> client to interact with the files?
>
> -Matt

Read-only in the browser, unless you roll your own PHP uploader or
something.

Read-write by mounting the WebDAV folder as a network share in desktop OS.
This works natively in OS X and Windows 7. It sort of works in Windows XP
(they are called Web Folders). And in BSD or Linux you'd use FUSE or a
WebDAV client.

Works great for simple sharing. Plays especially nice with bits of OS X that
like to share things via WebDAV, like iCal and iWork.

It's not a "management system", so if you need features you probably want to
look elsewhere. But a literal read of your requirements suggested that it
would be a simple solution.